Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The movie Toast - and on food

I just watched the movie Toast, starring one of my favorite young stars Freddie Highmore. The movie is based on an autobiography by the chef Nigel Slater. It’s a touching drama about a boy who loves his weird yet lovely mother very much. Even if she can’t cook anything but toast – and he has a budding passion for culinary pleasures. His mother dies of asthma and his father soon falls for their new cleaning lady. Nigel hates her fiercly, desperate to connect with his father. The new step mother Joan is an extraordinary cook and even though Nigel himself can’t cook much better than his mother at this point, he experiences Joan as competition. When Nigel gets to his teens, in secondary school he chooses cooking classes as the only boy in the school. He finally begins to learn what he loves. He is on his way to greatness.

I kept waiting for Nigel and Joan to realize how much they had to offer for each other. She could have been a great mentor for him. Instead they remained rivals in everything. it was quite entertaining, especially when Nigel sneaked around spying for Joan’s recipes. The atmosphere of the movie was very fun and entertaining for a drama made for TV. I enjoyed watching it very much. I wasn’t expecting so. I was very pleasantly surprised. If I had to give it stars, I’d give it four and half movie stars – and five Michelin stars for the cooking. Everything looked absolutely delicious and priceless. I could never afford to go to a restaurant that sold such things. I wish I could learn to make the unbelievable Lemon merengue pie. I drooled like a wolf upon seeing that thing. Amazing.

I feel very thankful for this movie. I’m thankful for the good mood it put me on. I’m thankful for learning about a chef name Nigel Slater. I’m going to be looking up some of his books for sure. I’m thankful for yet another great performance by Freddie Highmore. I’m thankful that someone thought to make another great movie about a person following his dreams with passion. I love those kinds of movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment