Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Another experimental cooking day

I winged two meals; one for the others, and one for me. Looks like both of them were pretty good. The kids said their food was delicious, especially the meat. J asked again, for the umpteenth time “what are you doing to the meatloaf now days? It was awesome!” Well, duh! Experimenting on it with different spices every time. Seems like his favorite was when I spiced with a little spice bag left over from some noodle pack and added some bouillon and pepper. LOL. Good to know I can still cook meat properly, though I can’t taste it to see if it’s ok. Great to know that I’ve perfected the way to make the meatloaf’s texture just right. I only learned to cook it this winter in the course of trial and error. I made tuna for myself since I can still eat sea food. Tuna makes me a bit sick, but I’ll have to get my protein somewhere.

Usually when I make meatloaf, I use a 700g pack of ground meat and put half of the unbaked meatloaf in the freezer for a latter use. I don’t actually measure the spices. I just throw in what seems like a good quantity; usually something from 1 teaspoon to even 1 tablespoon when I’ve got this much meat. So if you decide to try these, use the spices as much as you like them. I always use 1teaspoon at the most, when talking salt. But I love onion and pepper, so I put those in more. Chili burns fat so I’m adding it to pretty much anything now. Haha.

***********************************

Chili meatloaf and avec

350-400g of ground meat
1 egg (per 400grams of meat)
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
Salt
Minced pepper
Minced onion
Minced garlic
Minced chili
1 cube of bouillon/broth/such
2dl of bread crumbs
4dl of boiled water

8-10 potatoes
2 carrots

1. Peal and chop the potatoes and carrots. Make them pretty small. Boil them in a kettle for 5-10 minutes, until they’re half done.
2. Take a big mixing bowl and put the spices of your liking in it. Add the boiling water and stir until it’s smooth. Add bread crumbs. Stir a bit and leave alone for couple of minutes.
3. Break the egg and mix it in. Next, mix the olive oil. A spoon will do fine for the mixing.
4. Put the meat in and squeeze it in the rest with your hand until the texture is smooth and there are no climbs in it.
5. Put the potatoes and carrots in a deep (oven-) pan. Pour some water until it barely covers the potatoes.
6. Put the meatloaf on top of the potatoes in a 2cm/half inch thick layer. (sure, you can cook the potatoes all the way in the kettle, but when you do it like this, the spices will make the potatoes delicious too. And you get some broth if you like it.)
7. Bake in the 200c oven until the meat looks done and potatoes are soft, about 15-20 minutes.

• You can also use onions that are pealed and chopped, instead of the minced onion.
• Paprika also tastes good with meat.
• Sometimes I like to mix some veggies that have been cut into tiny pieces, in the meatloaf.

***************************************

The MacTuna

400g macaroni
2 cans of tuna
200g thick tomato sauce
Salt
Pepper
Onion
Chili
Minced herbs
Veggie bouillon/broth cube
3dl water
4dl milk

1. Take a mid-sized (oven-) pan and put half of the macaroni in it.
2. Spread the tuna on top of the macaroni.
3. Make another layer of macaroni.
4. Boil the water and mix the spices in it. Add milk and tomato sauce; stir. Pour the liquid in the pan equally.
5. Bake 200c 10-15 minutes.

• you could also chop some cherry tomatoes in tuna-layer and on the surface.
You can also use cheese like in lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment