Monday, March 29, 2010

Nobody likes petty people.

Even I’m mildly annoyed by them, but even more so when I notice it in myself. I’m utterly annoyed by myself because I realize I’ve been being petty for DAYS!

I told my friend that I applied for a job in a cleaning firm. She laughed and said I should learn to clean my own house first. WTF???!!! Her statement STILL annoys the hell out of me, even though it’s been a whole week already. I just feel she was being very hurtful and rude. She based her opinion in the fact how much I clean when she’s visiting us, and that’s totally unfair since those are special circumstances. Every time she *the shopaholic* is here I’m out half the day running in stores so A) My feet hurt and I don’t have energy to clean as much as usually, and B) the house isn’t in such big need of cleaning either since nobody was at home to make a mess half the day. Also, she only has one pretty tidy daughter, and she herself grew up as an only child so she doesn’t really have a CLUE of how much three kids and especially little boys can make mess. When she was here the other week, she asked me how often do I vacuum and I said pretty much daily some areas. Of course she must have noticed that I didn’t vacuum that often when she was here. Again, because there wasn’t that much to clean since even the boys were out with us shopping and the kids made a remarkable little of mess when we were at home. I have tendency to assume I’ve got some right to take it a bit easier when we’ve got company over since before they arrive, I’ve usually deep clenched the house. So I see that we get by just by keeping the tables clean and sweeping the floors when needed. In a regular week, I do vacuum the kitchen-living room area daily and the rest of the house twice a week, and I also wipe the floors with soap water once. Tables, dishes, laundry and such are another daily task. Because I’ve got small kids that spread their toys and paper sand stuff all over, and because some of the surfaces on this house look dirty even when they’re clean; I’m surprised I have the strength to clean as much as I do. It often feels useless. It would be much more rewarding if we could afford to renovate the walls and floors some time soon.

As you may have understood from this rant, I’m a bit ticked off. My friend E has that effect on me. I don’t usually get angry at my friends at all, but she is another case. Usually I get angry over how she hurts herself and her daughter by doing the same mistakes over and over, and how she sometimes acts and talks like she’s better than me. She said we’re like sisters, and that clicked in my head. Yeah, my siblings do force the same reactions out of me. Even the one that I feel a bit relieved (and for that guilt and embarrassed) that she’s moving a bit further away again. I love having siblings who I only need to socialize with 3-4 times a year. They’re too much stress to anything more.

Oh, I should have mentioned: I always take it personally when people say bad things about my cleaning. Or parenting. Or sometimes even cooking. But mostly cleaning because as a stay-at-home-mom it’s a big part of my job description and how the hell would you react if someone who only saw you working very randomly, started criticizing your work? Even when hubby says bad things about my cleaning (about every three weeks) when he’s super tired and stressed and I’ve been too (or sick) thus cleaning a bit less, he realizes his mistake pretty darn fast. And then it’s gonna be one heckable long week. When someone does criticize the damn cleaning, something inside me clicks and I get a bit depressed. A rebellious side of me takes over, and just then he really sees how it DOES look when I do clean as little as he thinks I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment