Wednesday, June 23, 2010

whoops. a little blogging pause.

I guess I didn't have much to say. Or rather it seemed all that I had to say, turned into a rant and that is not what I want for this blog. There are some re-accuring issues in my life that just don't go away. Drama. At least I won't get bored!

I read Stephenie Meyer's The Host last weekend. Started on friday night at the island for six hours until the sun that never really went below the horizon, was burning hot orange as it rose back up again, at 3 am. I like reading at the island. Somehow so much easier there. Especially to start a book. I've had this book for six months now and I never got past the first chapter, though I tried to read it several times. Now that i got it to a proper start at the island, I could actually continue it when we got back home on saturday. We were supposed to stay all weekend but came off early because there was supposed to be raining, and the others seem to think there's nothing to do there when it rains and the kids can't go on the yard. Well, they ARE my slightly hyperactive kids so I do get that point. Its not like there's much kids' programmning on TV even if they had it on with generator for hours. There just isn't a proper place inside the house for the kids to play in. Its a big house, but only 1/3 of it is at use because the rest is used for storage. Not our idea. Long story. Not getting into that right now. Wasn't I trying to review a book here or something? heh.. ramble ramble..


BOOK REVIEW: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

It took me four days to read that brick of a book that has almost 60 chapters. Madness! Each read was about 6 hours until I couldn't push back my bedtime anymore. The last one about 8 hours since I started earlier and ended after 3 am. I can't seem to decide if it was a good read or not. In a lot of ways it was awkwardly silly and totally unbeleaveable, but it still had a nice flow that kept me in the story. I kept waiting for the big romance between Wanda and Ian, thanks ot a friend of mine gushing over it but that didn't really happen. At least not in as big storyline as I thougt it would. I kept waiting for it to live up to the hype, but that never happens with anything that is hyped. Fandoms can just go awfully crazy sometimes. I don't want this to be a mean review. I honestly can't deside if I liked it a lot or disliked it a lot. Kind of a love-hate thing. Familliar for me from mrs Meyer's earlier books. I mean this in no way as an insult but when I tried to think of a way to describe the writing, the saying "it so stupid, its genius" came to mind. And really it is. The storylines are silly and kinda naive. But the writing style itself has some weird magic to it that keeps pulling a person in once its started properly. So no, I don't think Steven Hawking was being fair saying she can't write. She may write a little differently than most authors. She may think a little differently. but I'd say she's well on her way of becoming a genius writer and she will no doubt live up to the hype one day. She may even seem a bit crazy, but someone wise once said craziness and geniusness were really close to each other. I imagine I'd go a bit nutty too if I actually let myself get properly pulled into my writing. Not that I'm comparing myself to any of these bright people. Ok, I'll stop rambling now. Embrarressed myself enough for a one post. I shall now wait for the rain of the stones... thrown by the angry fans of mrs Meyer.

1 comment:

  1. considering it's the "wise" people that rule the world (and look what they've done to it) I very much prefer my insanity, thank you very much ;)

    OK, so maybe, just maybe we hyped the Wanda/Ian romance a little... or maybe we were already writing the fanfic's and there it was ON!

    ReplyDelete