Tuesday, April 6, 2010

BOOKS: Kami Garcia - Beautiful Creatures Pt.1

Apart from being surprisingly alert considering my 3 hours of sleep last night, I’ve also pleasantly staggered by the realization that I did not get that sleep deprived-headache I often get AND I’ve actually been able to read a lot today. Usually my eyes can’t take this much reading in a good day, yet along when they’re tired. I got this book yesterday and today I’ve read about half of it.

Without giving too much of the plot away; it’s about a boy and girl and some supernatural stuff. Its kinda sweet and kinda exciting. It practically screams that it’s the author’s first (or at least one of the first ones) book and that the writer is pretty young, but obviously talented and really trying her best here. She may have some developing to do but this is a pretty good starting point. The story swept me away with it and it’s hard to put down. Some things are a bit childish, corny and even cliché, but there’s still a lot of originality there.

This writer is going places. And she really should. This story has two weak points that stand out. First one is the describing of the surroundings. It is like this writer hasn’t really been to this part of the USA the story is set. In all honesty, neither have I, but it does come out a bit shallow. I’m used to more described settings. It’s supposed to be a small town in South Carolina, and I do get the small town atmosphere; but the physical appearance of the town doesn’t come clear. Either the writer is too close to this place to see it with all the senses and to be able to describe it, or she’s never been there and sets it as she’s seen it in other stories or pictures. Another weak point is the main character’s masculinity, or rather lack of it. The story is told in his point of view, in his voice, and to be honest he ‘sounds’ like a girl. It’s written by a girl, creating a dream guy that acts and thinks a bit too much like a girl. The writer has difficulty settling into the character she’s trying to tell this story thru. Many times I’ve fallen into thinking it’s about two girls becoming best friends. Then the more male characteristics come to play more and remind me this is a love story after all. Still, hello, guys think about sex A LOT; especially 16 year old jocks. Even the good guys. Where’s the testosterone?

Maybe I’m being too harsh. I do have a tendency to over analyze and apparently not only my own stuff. Don’t take my word for it. It’s still a good book with a lot of promise. Those two weak points may point out less to some readers, and I do hope I didn’t ruin the read for anyone.

I'll just call this part one of my review, and post my final opinion once I've finished the story. So far so good. Excited to finish it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, how about you post this review on my blog as a guest??? Please?!?!?! *batting eyelashes*

    ReplyDelete