As promised, here’s the part two of my review.
If I were to give away stars, this one would get four, or maybe even four and a half. It has its weak spots but what book doesn’t. It’s actually pretty darn good for couple of authors that are publishing their first novel. In music, many of my favorite songs are from first albums. I can feel the excitement of them fulfilling their dreams and not falling into patterns, rules and getting the blues from how the industry works yet. With books, it’s often the opposite. I like seeing the authors develop as they put out more books and sometimes the best thing is to read a book by someone who’s been at it for a long time, and has found their own style and “voice”. I’m having mixed feelings with this book called Beautiful creatures. I feel the excitement and inspiration of first time novelist, but also so much talent it’s hard to believe it is a first novel. The structure is good, the flow is great and there really is a sense of style and “voice” there.
I might have been a little too crude with the first part of my review; only read so little and all avid readers should know not to judge a book by its first third when it’s just picking up speed. The describing of surroundings got deeper, and though it was hard for me to “see” the town, I could feel the damp air, wind and rain, at some points. The masculinity of the narrator, Ethan, got a little more prominent as the story evolved. I do get that this is a young adult-novel so maybe that’s why it’s so low on thoughts of sex and smut. Actually, due to my latest reading, it was a nice change to read something that isn’t all about the smut. It gave more room for the characters and story to develop and reach its highs and lows. I can not say one bad thing about this book, since even the spots that I might think as small errors, are building up the story and giving it form.
Here’s a bit of a plotline. It’s hard to say much about without giving spoilers, so consider yourselves warned. This book tells the story of Ethan, who lives in a boring small town where everything has already happened a million times before, and life keeps going on its familiar ruts. A new school year is beginning and Ethan is certain it is going to go as it always goes and nothing new will happen. He can’t wait for the next two years to pass so he gets to go away for college. How ever, he is wrong. Change comes in the form of a girl. A girl that everyone else automatically hates because of her roots. Ethan is pulled to the girl and finds out they’ve got a lot in common. Ethan gets tired of going with the flow as the school jock that everyone likes, and when the situation calls for it, he stands up to them all to support the girl that everyone bullies. Communication comes surprisingly easily and in surprising ways to these two. As Ethan tries to learn everything about her, he gets pulled into a World of myths and magic; secrets and half-truths. Into an extraordinary adventure with so many twists and turns, if this were a rollercoaster, I’d thrown up a gazillion times. It all keeps the story interesting and captivating. I really hope there’ll be a sequel.
I highly recommend!
No comments:
Post a Comment